Sunday, June 1, 2014

Potatoes in a Barrel, Update III


This will probably be the last Potatoes in a Barrel update until we dump the whole mess over in the fall and take inventory. After all, what is left to show?

The taters began at the bottom line on the barrel and the dirt is now about 4" from the top (I'll cap it off tomorrow, leaving only an inch or 2 between rim and dirt).

I have planted horseradish in the top. I did a straight transplant of a handful of full plants from the edges of the patch where a few precocious plants are wandering away from the rest of the group.  The full-size leaves withered immediately, so I sliced them all off. Within a week I had new growth, so the HR looks like it will grow there all summer. It will be interesting to see how the roots here compare to the roots in the regular patch.

The planned bush beans look like they will not make it here.  While I have some sprouted, the potatoes are far too full to allow much else to grow beneath them. So we'll have to find another place for the beans. 

4 comments:

  1. I was betting against the bush beans. Didn't say anything, I just thought that was... a bit ambitious. Still. I don't think that is a terrible neg, or a neg at all, just... a reality. Definitely curious to see what else happens. I am hoping for a lot of potatoes. Don't know how big they will be, but they don't have to be huge. Medium to small is quite nice. Then I'm curious about how well they store. Do you have a root cellar? Curiosity might kill the cat, but I don't die very well, and even if so, would die happy to know. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, even if I had a root cellar, I doubt 20# of fresh potatoes would last long enough to find out how long they last, so to speak. I'm hoping for big ones as well, but so long as I get enough total, this experiment will probably be expanded x4 next year.

    Then maybe we'll see how well they store...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I just put the first layer on mine on saturday. some potatoes are 2 inches tall and some are 12" I am unsure how to bury them in a way that doesn't kill the little guys. Perhaps I wont worry about them. I have quite a ways to go to get to the top. Maybe by the 4th of July. Which seems late.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heh, I lied. There was room for one bush bean. It's 8" tall now and holding its own...

    ReplyDelete