Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Word of the Day

Ye Olde Bucket O' Plenty
Or wave of the future:
dis·in·ter·me·di·a·tion

noun. reduction in the use of intermediaries between producers and consumers, for example by investing directly in the securities market rather than through a bank.
Also known as 'cutting out the middle man,' disintermediation is what happens when economies shrink. Like eating apples from your own tree rather than those trucked in from Washington because there are no more trucks coming in from Washington.

Speaking of which, I seem to have discovered a magic bucket.  Last night I began the process of making a couple cases of jelly by removing all of the smallest apples from the trusty orange 5-gallon bucket I filled on Sunday.  I quartered about 5 quarts, boiled them down, and recovered almost a gallon of juice that I'll make into jelly tonight. I also had about a gallon of mash that will go on the mulch pile.*  However, I was very surprised to find that when I re-filled the bucket, it was just as overflowing as when I started. Good times.

* Never put apple mash directly on the garden. It's acidic enough to kill just about anything. Trust me on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment