Friday, March 20, 2015

and the cycle begins anew

Meet the new bed, same as the old bed.
Fully recovered from last weekend's beating at the hands* of Mother Nature, I got out for a couple hours of planning and planting this morning.

The raised bed above is the same one we used for peppers last year, with one difference that you'll doubtless note. While mixing in some compost in preparation for onions, I uncovered another bovine humerus lovingly placed by Digging Dog (™). Rather than play that game with her again this year, I have covered the bed with a bit of the yard fencing that we tore down last fall.  Onions should not be bothered by it, but my four-legged undertaker will likely have to find somewhere else to ply her trade.  The other beds, though both longer and wider, may get a similar covering. That depends on Digging Dog's next move.

You'll notice lots of wood mulch around the beds that wasn't in last year's picture. I recently discovered that our good friends at Asphlundt** will give you a truckload of wood chips just for the asking, as it saves them the trouble of dumping or recycling them.  I've successfully placed a truckload and a half so far.  Unfortunately, my chickens have decided that such chips are always in exactly the wrong place and put considerable effort into moving them.

I also found a use for my 55 gallon plastic drum since we are not growing potatoes in it this year*** and since it no longer holds water. It has become an enormous ossuary for the deerly and cowly departed. The would-be undertaker can smell the bones, but she cannot get at them.  It remains to be seen if this tactic will result in more bones being dragged home or fewer.

* Well, microbes.
** The folks who trim roadside trees for the county.
*** Sort of like last year, but without all the hope and pictures.

3 comments:

  1. if you have problems with rabbits getting into your gardens, i've seen great success with framing chicken wire over the top of the rows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what my dog is supposed to be for, though just yesterday I had to tape up another apple tree, literally 30 feet from the house. Apparently she's too busy digging cow bones to bother with guard duty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, my chickens have decided that such chips are always in exactly the wrong place and put considerable effort into moving them.

    Yeah, I have chickens and bark mulch around the house. I suspect the solution involves shooting chickens or putting down rock. Or penning up the chickens and buying feed.

    You want your trees protected from wildlife, you have to fence them. I've learned and relearned it. Something always wants to eat them or rub their antlers on them even a few yards from the house or the dog house.

    ReplyDelete