The claim that the U.S. government has information about an impending asteroid impact catastrophe, but is keeping the information secret to prevent mass panic, is spreading fast and causing growing anxiety among doomsday believers.
Following a series of warnings from doomsday prophets, there is increasing convergence of opinion among believers that an asteroid apocalypse will occur in September, 2015...Now, I don't give any more thought to the prophesied September asteroid than I have in the last half dozen similar warnings. Catastrophic threats of this nature are best utterly ignored. After all, if we're gonna get it, it's not fatalistic to say, "Oh, well." It's realism.
But what is of interest to me is how certain months seem to collect reasons why we are going to be destroyed therein, whereas others leave us homefree. I don't see anyone worried about April.* But like December of 2012, which accumulated multiple conflicting reasons why that was it, September of this year seems to have plenty as well.
1. The aforementioned asteroid strike.
2. "The Harbinger," Jonathan Cohn's prediction of doom that is tied into the Hebrew calendar (the 70th year of Jubilee) and is therefore a divine judgment. Of interest is that the aforelinked article was published in 2012, so September of this year has apparently been on the disaster calendar for a while.
3. Last year, French Foreign Minister Fabius famously warned the world that "We have 500 days – not a day more – to avert a climate disaster," While it is believed to have been referencing a conference scheduled for Paris in November, 500 days and 'not a day more' falls in late September, 2015.
4. The last of the current tetrad of "Blood Moons" arrives on Sept 28, Israel's Yom Kippur, leading any number of pastors and would-be prophets to expect God to shake things up in the Middle East this fall. According to their claims, which I have not checked**, the last 2 such tetrads took place in 1967 and 1948, years most people familiar with modern history can tie to big events in that state.
5. The Pope is scheduled to come to America to address the US and the Congress in late September. Some who take St. Malachy's prophecy seriously are certain this means something double plus ungood.
6. Market prophets and other prophets are saying September might be a good time to short TWTR or even AAPL.
So what does it all mean? Heck if I know. I suspect that by the time it does arrive, we'll be so caught up in the Most Important Election of Our Lifetimes to notice all the disasters that fail to befall us. But if they fail to fail to befall us this fall, at least we can't say we weren't warned.
* So maybe we should be.
** Not really taking them seriously enough to do so.