Sunday, March 8, 2015

What did you prep this week?

Not the future I want.
M.D. Creekmore over at TheSurvivalistBlog.net asks a good question:
Well folks that’s it for me this week… what about you… what did you do to prep this week?
Apparently he asks it each week, and props to him that he lays out exactly what he himself did.  I rather enjoy that kind of update, for I've long been of the opinion that you either prep as a lifestyle or you don't bother.  But prepping as a lifestyle -- or better said, continually increasing familial resilience -- means you ought to be able to answer the question yourself each week.  What did you do, this week, to better protect yourself and your loved ones from the coming effects of our collective politico-economic insanity?

For my part, it was a rather quiet week:

1) Added 3 new Kindle Books and plans for a few more. "What good," you may rightly ask, "does it do to create electronic books when electricity itself may soon go the way of Brian Williams' credibility?"  I'm glad you asked. A huge part of resilience is eliminating 'single points of failure.' In the network, that means duplicating that one piece of hardware that, should it fail, will bring your whole business to a halt.  In my case, it means not increasing income so much as increasing the number of places from which I can draw income.  I currently draw most of my income from the college bubble. That will not last forever, and I fully expect that electricity will outlive it.*  Therefore, I work to minimize the consequences of that popping by maximizing other things that can pay the bills. Plus, historians today need a decent electronic copy of Aethelweard's Chronicle, which I hope will be finished by Friday, and Sunday at the latest.

2) Bought, sold, and (most importantly) restored a bassload of dies.  In fact, in the last 31 days, according to Ebay, I have sold $763.54 worth of dies, enriching Ebay (and PayPal) no little bit, but also allowing me to add to my stockpile more dies, lots of lead and wiping solder,** toy soldier molds, unfinished wooden handles for rasps and files, rasps and files to fit the handles, a mason's chisel, a bigass fire extinguisher, and a thus-far-unused cast iron tortilla press.  The good news is that the sales of dies, besides leaving me with more dies at month-end than month-beginning, also paid for all that other stuff. Earn your preps and they will come. The bad news is that I have not yet learned to make tortillas by hand.

3) Added bricks to my pile and located plans for a sweet outdoor brick bread oven.  I now have a pile of recovered street bricks 3' high, 2' deep, and 25' long (and growing), and it looks like I haven't even really touched the erstwhile wood barn.  The weather was nice enough that it was actually enjoyable to pick through the piles and recover another couple hundred bricks this sunny afternoon.

4) Renewed my CPR certification.

5) Added a lockable storm door to the front of the house. It's not a huge layer of protection, but it is a loud one.

6) Planned much of the garden.  I'm still not sure how much area I'll dedicate to potatoes this year, but it will likely be larger than a 55-gallon barrel.

7) Spent a bunch of time with the lovely and gracious Rogue and the kids, all of whom are far more important than cast boolits, seater dies, or any other merely physical items.  It's always important to remember that prepping is never about the stuff. It's always about the people who will ultimately need the stuff.

* In other words, I don't think TEOTWAWKI is RIGHT FREAKING NOW.  But if it is, then that's fine. Bring it.
** hands down the best way to get tin at below-market prices. While I didn't get to pour any bullets this weekend, I'm looking forward to next, when I'll be a bachelor and might get to try out this new recipe for 45 ACP I've been pondering.

1 comment:

  1. I'm mostly a monthly type of guy. Mostly purchases, unfortunately. But sometimes those lead to more. Not bad to have either way and I am limited as to how far I can push things. This month, an axe that is reasonable to carry and of good quality, bank line, and real para-cord. I want to compare those cordages with standard para-cord I bought before I realized that a lot of para-cord isn't legit, and play with them a bit as to shelters... if I can get to it. Last month wool blankets. Sort of trying to gear for old-school pack camping. Each month, around payday, I try to add a few items. Eliminating tech/electronica from my pack and thinking, while at it. Though I review ideas and skills, such as old-time woodcrafting, before Leave No Trace became the absolutist modernist mantra, and look up skills, tips, and such. I am slowly learning and doing some of those things. Takes time to learn from scratch, in some areas. And, when I can, I try to organize, store, learn, and do. Not exactly a weekly thing. But then I can be down for a week or two at a time, so... If you got it, weekly would be good.

    How much do reconditioned dies go for? I've been thinking about expanding my collection to common calibers I don't currently have, but that might be good for others. I don't do ebay though. No offense, just... no trust in pricing, quality, and such. Though from a neighbor type, perhaps. Just thinking on that, as I have been for some time. Just thought I'd try to ask.

    ReplyDelete