Thursday, July 9, 2015

Nuke 'em from orbit

The implacable foe
It's the only way to be sure.

So anyway, after a couple months of fighting squash bugs 'naturally,'* it's time to fall back on an old strategy: nuke the bastards.

There are apparently a couple ways to use Sevin dust that do not endanger bees and all the other good bugs, while still taking out most of the bad bugs.  The one I'm going to try is sprinkling it around the base of the plant and ripping out any flower within 18".  So we'll see if that works.

But if tactical nukes don't solve the problem, there are always bunker busters.  

* Mostly spraying the plants with a Dawn mixture.  I suppose there are people who have time to go over every leaf in the garden squashing eggs by hand.  I'm not one of them.

2 comments:

  1. Dad used to pick potato bugs and eggs by hand--every leaf of every potato plant (we'd harvest upwards of 20 gunny sacks full) with a tin can with an inch of gasoline in it. To this day I hate potato bugs. Took hours. I'm more inclined to rip the squash plants out of the ground than kill the individual bugs. That should do it!

    As a side note, I have a son who lets in flies. I'm convinced fly buzzing will make you insane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm more inclined to rip the squash plants out of the ground than kill the individual bugs.

    Agreed.

    ReplyDelete