Monday, September 7, 2015

The girls of summer


On their final vacation of the summer, TK and Molly visited the grave site of the last surviving member of the Union Army, Albert Woolson, who died in 1956 at the age of 109.  When my mother was in elementary school, her class used to visit Woolson in his nursing home and sing Happy Birthday each year. We are not so far from the past as we think.

And speaking of cemeteries, in this one my dad showed us his favorite boyhood sledding hill, from which the cemetery caretakers would chase him and his friends on snowy Saturday mornings.  It turns out that his great grandfather, for whom he is named, is buried at its summit, and he never knew*.  Weird how that works out.

* On the other hand, my mom knew exactly where the marker was. But that's mostly because she spends much of her spare time cataloging cemeteries.

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to print this one out and put it in my scrapbook. Seriously, great picture of you guys, and love the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. History has a way of sneaking up on one. The daughter on, by viewing, my right... if a bit darker, reminds me a great deal of my mother when she was a girl. Lots of history... isn't passed on. Some of us, however, eventually understand more than we were told.

    ReplyDelete