Monday, March 14, 2016

I'm gonna kill that dog

Lockdown
So anyway, while fossicking aroud the side yard I discovered about a wheelbarrow and a half's worth of rotted wood beneath the stump of a fallen tree, just the kind of thing that would make a great mulch for strawberries.  Luckily, I have a new bed of strawberries without mulch.  Problem solved.

But I had a wheelbarrow AND A HALF of rot. Which means I had to go back to the tree after I had carefully spread the first load among the strawberries.

By the time I returned - literally 5 minutes later - Digging Dog had decided to advance the project by digging up a half-dozen strawberries and half-planting half a cow femur in the center of the bed.

So now I have a gorgeous, flourishing, fully-mulched raised strawberry bed with metal fencing and tomato cages laid across it.  That may not keep the cats from crapping in it, but it just might save a dog's life.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. There are days when I've pondered what a really nice pair of mukluks she'd make.

      Delete
  2. What could go wrong? Other than your kids hating you for the rest of your life...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to kill that dog. We came home from church one day to find the problem dog at our place. It had been over at our place raising hell on multiple occasions, usually when I wasn't home. The owners seem to not understand that harassing my animals constitutes a problem. The wife talked into having mercy. I was repaid by the monster coming over on friday. One chicken dead, one alive, and the rest missing in action. Presumed dead at this point. No more mercy. Life lesson learned: When a problem dog gives you motive, take the first opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That never gets any easier no matter how many times you have to do it.

      Delete
    2. That's bad. No way to do it that doesn't raise 'human' problems. Don't suppose your local sheriff has time for animal control problems...
      Perhaps leaving your dead chickens (at least the heads anyway) on the neighbor's front doorstep, with a bill for losses and replacement?

      Delete