Saturday, May 7, 2016

Why do 10 minutes of research

The Fab 5
When you can do 5 months of experimentation?

So anyway, because of the bounty of 2015's Onion Sunday, I ended up last fall with a few onions that we didn't get to eat before they started growing again.  Rather than just chop them up, I decided to re-plant them*.

So I picked one of the new 2x2 raised beds, planted them in, and covered them with fallen leaves.  The results surprised me, though they probably should not have.

Onions are members of the garlic family**. And when planting garlic you bust up a bulb and plant the individual cloves. Those cloves then grow into a bulb made up of cloves, which can again be individually planted. This process continues until there is nary a vampire in your entire county.

But I did not expect the onions to react the same way, mostly because an onion is not obviously made up of cloves. But they did react the same way, with each re-planted onion breaking into 4 or 5 smaller clove-like onions, still connected at the root but with individual shoots coming out of the ground.

While, or maybe because, they are not as large as my 2016 Onion Sunday hopefuls, I harvested them today to make this green pepper / mushroom / onion stir fry fix for tomorrow's Mother's Day burger extravangaza. Packed in as they were, I'm not sure they would have grown much bigger than the egg-sized Siamese quintuplets they had become.

Plus, even though I doubled the bed space, I don't have enough. And I have bush beans**** that have been waiting patiently for a place to call their own.


* I had just planted my fall garlic and was in a planting mood. 
** Or garlic is a member of the onion family, or they are both members of the same family***, whatever.
*** Much like humans are not descended from apes but humans and apes allegedly are descended from a common ancestor that is neither human nor ape. Whatever.
**** After tasting my mother's bush-style Blue Lakes and comparing them to the vine-style Blue Lakes that have been in my freezer all winter, I have switched over to bush beans.  Better-tasting, but demanding of more bed space.

2 comments:

  1. Research blahsearch. While, with some things, it is good to not have to reinvent the wheel, especially if time/space/money/etc/etc/etc is limited and complexity is an issue. That was not the case for you, to my mind. And, I like, myself, to just dabble in the guts of things, heedless of some durned fools for sure knowings. How will I be sure if I don't ever just go with it. And to be honest, even if they are sure, they are proven wrong more than not. Which saw me all but hanging upside down in a tree, trying to figure out how to rip a chainsaw back to life, while thinking it... probably wasn't a good idea.

    I'll tell you what. I'll be more careful with chainsaws, and you figure out how to do onions more exactly next time? 'Don't trust him, he's lying.' Whaught? Never mind. Though... I am now curious... do you, then, slice up the onion into quarters, fifths, tenths, and plant the chunks like bulbs? I'll let you know about starting chainsaws in trees when I figure that out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you, then, slice up the onion into quarters, fifths, tenths, and plant the chunks like bulbs?

    I'm gonna bet not. See, the thing with garlic is that every clove has its own paper 'wrapper' that protects it. If you just cut an onion and planted the chunks without such a thing, they would quickly rot.

    But I'll bet that if you planted a whole bulb, then separated the pieces that naturally act like individual cloves and re-plant those, then maybe we might get somewhere.

    Sounds like an experiment for this fall's planting.

    ReplyDelete