Monday, November 28, 2016

The accidental gourds

Veggie tales.
So anyway, I was working over the long holiday to layer-cake the lovely and gracious Rogue's new raised bed.  You know, a layer of leaves then a layer of grass compost.  A layer of leaves and a layer of chopped ivy.  A layer of leaves...

But while emptying out the compost cage to transfer a couple wheelbarrow loads of yummy goodness to the bed, I happened to notice a bird house gourd* hanging in a nearby fence. Then another, then a few more.  All in all there were about a dozen of them, bigger than last year's purposely-grown ones, none with any bug damage at all, just waiting for me to dig through the Jerusalem artichoke stalks and pick them.

The thing is, we actually grew some last year on purpose.  And a few actually made it to what passes for young adulthood for gourds, while the rest were destroyed by the Squash Bug Panzer Divisions.  So I had tossed the survivors into the barn to dry them and when they rotted instead, I tossed them into a pile behind the compost cage. While I forgot about them, they did not forget about growing a bounty of damage-free veggies for me to give away to my sister-in-law for her art class.  It's a win-win all around, except that I won't do that again, because I really have no use for gourds.

Instead, I dropped a couple of pumpkins back there, covered them with weeds and ivy, and we'll see what, if anything, grows next year.

* a functional name if there ever was one, as they are not much for eating but are just fine for various craft projects, including making Section 8** bird houses.
** Birds move in as soon as the paint is dry and the house is destroyed within a year.

5 comments:

  1. They make excellent canteens. I saw that in Central America, the peasants used them. Tie a rope around the neck, and use a corn cob as a stopper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They'd be about the right size for a relaxing morning walk. Can't imagine I'd want anything heavier hanging around by neck, tho.

      Delete
    2. Tom-Thanks for the tip on Genes for Good. I submitted my spit kit last month and am just waiting for results.

      Delete
    3. Gonna get that German question cleared up?

      Delete
    4. Re Genes for Good. I got mine back. The info they provide is very basic, just what % is what race. They also give you the actual gene breakdown in a file that could be used, if you have the right software, to give you more complete info.

      Delete