Thursday, July 13, 2017

Corn when you want none


So anyway, with the lovely and gracious Rogue on a whirlwind tour of the East Coast, I decided that in her absence I would double her strawberry beds, since other one, as they say, runneth over.  So I started a new bed, half dirt and half compost from the Chicken Composter. And lo, before I could even transfer the runners of one bed to the waiting arms of the other, what to my wondering eyes should appear but a whole bunch of grass-like shoots?

Upon further review, they are the growings of a bunch a deer corn I had added to the hens' feed but which they apparently didn't like and so left on the henhouse floor. I'm going to let them grow in the short term just to see what comes of them. Though they're probably GMO with some virus injected into the DNA, which, while accounting for their amazing growth will start a pandemic that burns mercilessly from rural Kansas* across the globe, killing millions. Including you.  Sorry.

* You know the 1918/9 Spanish Lady Flu that killed 50 million started here, right?

6 comments:

  1. My sweet corn is a random cross between commercial sweet corn seed, field corn and colored 'Indian' corn. Pretty good. I don't like most modern sweet corns, too much sugar. The older varieties were better. My seed is highly variable, usually quite good, sometimes a bit too tough and not very sweet. All sorts of colors too. Took a few years before my wife would accept anything but yellow and white sweet corn, but she has come around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colored corn is a battle we have not yet had in our house. My daughter Molly won't even eat red potatoes because they look "OMG, weird."

      Delete
  2. Though they're probably GMO with some virus injected into the DNA, which, while accounting for their amazing growth will start a pandemic that burns mercilessly from rural Kansas* across the globe, killing millions. Including you. Sorry.


    Does this mean I don't have to finish painting the house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you still have to paint the house.

      Delete
    2. Some pandemic you've provided!

      Delete
    3. Never look a gift plague in the mouth.

      Delete